- 500 gm beef stew meat
- 1white onion, chopped
- 3each dried guajillo, ancho, and cascabel chiles*
- 6large garlic cloves
- 9whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoondried thyme
- 1/2 teaspooncumin seeds
- 2 tablespoonsapple cider vinegar
- About 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoonskosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- Cover beef with cold water; squeeze in juice from 1/2 lime (adding rind) and add a few pieces of the chopped onion. Let sit, stirring every so often, until water is very pink and cloudy, about 10 minutes. Drain well, discarding the lime rind.
- Meanwhile, toast chiles in a large frying pan over medium heat, turning as needed, until fragrant and starting to darken, 6 to 8 minutes; when cool enough to handle, remove stems. Put in a food processor with remaining onion, the garlic, cloves, thyme, cumin, vinegar, 1 1/2 cups broth, and the salt. Whirl together to make a thick sauce, adding a little more broth if needed.
- Combine sauce with beef and bay and pressure cook till the beef melts in your mind. Cut remaining 1 1/2 limes into wedges and serve on the side, along with Cilantro Rice or tortillas. (I served it with tortillas.)